Monday, October 12, 2009

Joining the Circus

To My Dearest Ebbie,

As you may know, these are tough times that we live in. The economy has inflated drastically, the price of souls has skyrocketed, and many businesses have gone bankrupt because of increased incidents of trade robberies among others. That is why many of us knights have been dispatched all over the El Grego continent to keep the peace. You could also find smaller organizations, probably mercenaries, vigilantes, and even neutral private armies around the continent. El Grego is definitely Dragonica's melting pot nowadays.

Recently, the Newtypes guild hasn't been really active in missions, and Guildmaster Sieg decided to temporarily disband us, so that we wouldn't lose money every month due to inactivity. Guildless, I looked around all these recruitment hubs in Libra. Many of them come from all walks of life. From a guild of mages, to warrior-merchants, and even archer-economists. Who knew a single bullet from a Ranger's gatling cannon could cost so much?
A small group caught my eye though. They were performing a few parlor tricks for some spare cash. Trobadours, I think they were called. They were composed of two jesters and a few mages. With the jesters dancing and the mages doing all those fire tricks, I'd say it was pretty impressive even if it were just a handful of people watching them. Four performers? Not much, but it was entertaining at least.

All of a sudden, two men approached one of the jesters, threatening them to leave because it was their vending spot they were performing on. The two of them brandished their swords and guns on the performers. Warrior-merchants, they were. However, they were in a public area, and that gives the performers the right to perform there! I couldn't stand for this injustice so I intervened.

I got into a short fight with the ruffians, they didn't even let me finish my introduction of rank, file and affiliation! These warrior-merchants were cheaters! Using both guns and swords for combat, it does not follow the rules of proper engagement! Nevertheless, they were no match for me and my Tornado Tempura Combo. After knocking them out, I had them sent to jail by the authorities.


I eventually got acquainted with their leader, iQJoker (or just Joker), who dreams that his troupe would become a circus someday. He has been looking for talented people, but hasn't had much luck so far. They were headed for the Heroes' Sanctuaries, looking for a certain relic that gives good luck. With nothing else to do, I accompanied them. The other performers set up camp to rest, while I joined iQJoker on his reconnaissance rounds. The ghost of Captain Artis is still restless, and may strike at any moment in the area.

The two of us scoured the area for any movements. We might run into Artis, or worse, that thing called Usar. Usar is a restless spirit of a prince that was slain during the Dragon War. Looks like he was also under the influence of dark magic, like Artis. We found more statues in a certain area and I found this peculiar sign near one.

Shortly after I bowed, this door appeared nearby and when we entered, Artis was there to welcome us with an army of skeletons. Joker spots the charm on Artis' helm, and we fought the restless ghost. There were tons of skeletons as usual, but they were no match for us. Just annoying, though. Artis was still persistent with his magic spells and spear thrusts. I had to parry all of those spears so that Joker could attack him freely.

When we finally defeated Artis, I examined the helm and found the charm. I then gave it to Joker and he was elated. We then returned to the camp and he showed everyone the charm he found. Joker then offered me to join their troupe as their bouncer. They really needed someone to defend them from any trouble so I accepted his offer. I'm only staying until they become better though. If they grow larger, they will no longer need my services and I will have to find another guild.

Using my bulk, I control crowds that come to watch them perform nowadays. Joker's still hoping people would join his troupe.

Stay safe, and enjoy yourself!

From Your Dear Brother,
Prawnt

No comments:

Post a Comment